A Learning Journey

Kacy Keutzer

Teaching Philosophy Assignment

For EDEF 3200, we were asked to provide a piece of a professional’s personal teaching philosophy and link it to our own. I chose a quote from Maria Montessori who is an incredible educator that has inspired and motivated me as a future Montessori educator myself.

Part 1:

“To stimulate life,—leaving it then free to develop, to unfold,—herein lies the first task of the educator.”

-Maria Montessori

This quote was made by Maria Montessori, who was an Italian educator and doctor in the early 1900s. She developed the Montessori method, which has developed into the Montessori programs we see all over the world today. Montessori has written a number of books and educational resources based on her studies and the development of her educational method, which has provided Montessori programs with the information needed to be able to be taught properly. I chose this quote from Montessori because I think that even though it is rather simple, it is an idea that often gets overlooked by educators today. It is easy to forget what the role of an educator really is, which is not to stand at the front of the classroom and have all students follow direct instructions to complete a task that they do not fully understand. This is why I value the Montessori program so much, I strongly believe that students should have a chance to work at their own pace, in their own chosen location, and learn about what interests them the most. In this quote, Dr. Montessori outlines in this quote that she believes the first task of an educator is to stimulate their learning and their own development by providing them with all the resources and materials they need in order to give them freedom to take that information and run with it. Like the TRU education program has enforced, learning should be students led. The job of the teacher is to guide their students to reach their own academic and social successes, rather than direct students to reach goals expected of them.

Montessori, M., George, A. E., & Holmes, H. W. (2012). The Montessori method: Scientific pedagogy as applied to child education in “The Children’s Houses” with additions and revisions by the author. NY: FREDERICK A. STOKES COMPANY.

For part two of this assignment, we were asking to reflect on the Truth and Reconciliation Act, and respond to one of the two ways that educators are recommended to incorporate the TRC into their classrooms. I chose number 62, “Make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoples’ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students.”

Part 2: 62

The curriculum does an awesome job of including this request and ensures that all grades are being educated on Aboriginal peoples. This is something I have thought quite a bit about, as I have worked on lesson plans and unit plans. I think the best way for myself- as a non-indigenous person- to include Aboriginal education into my classroom, is through literature. I have found a large variety of books from short stories to novels, that cover a lot of Aboriginal Canadian history, which opens the class up to discussions and activities. A novel study is a fantastic activity for older grades to ensure that students are understanding Aboriginal education. The teacher can work with students by providing them with a non-fictional story that they are able to inquire and explore through reading, writing and art. Throughout my experience in the education program, teaching students about residential schools and the horrific impacts of them has been widely discussed. My eyes have completely been opened surrounding the “right” or “proper” ways to educate students on this subject. Based on the fact that residential schools were so very real and in a reality, very current, teaching young children about them is touchy and difficult by all means. As discussed in my classes and by the curriculum and TRC, students need to be educated on residential schools, it is unavoidable and necessary. However; it is the role of the educator to ensure that this is done without causing trauma or triggers to any students. In my classroom, I will always make an effort to connect with all students and get to understand their cultural and spiritual background, and make my very best attempt to ensure that no students are being put in an uncomfortable position. For example, before teaching about residential schools I will send home a letter of information for parents, telling them about the upcoming learning that will take place and suggesting that they have conversations with their children and myself if they think this learning could be harmful. By this I do not mean the racist folk who do not think their child should have to learn about Indigenous peoples, but I mean the young Indigenous boy whose grandma attended a residential school and could feel ashamed or afraid to hear about the tragic schools. I also would like to make sure that each year I invite an elder or other band member from a local First Nations band, to discuss residential schools with the students. Of course this would have to be done with the utmost respect and going through the band first, in order to make sure that no elders are being asked to talk about trauma they are not willing to share. Before any visitor like this came into my classroom, students would be reminded of what an appropriate question to ask would be and what an inappropriate question to avoid would also be. Following a visit from an Indigenous person, students would participate in an activity such as a thank you card for the visitor to show them appreciation and respect.

© 2024 A Learning Journey